#141711  by drkstrcrashes
 Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:35 pm
I thought I'd just throw it out there if you feel like hearing one of the most amazing post apocalyptic (meaning after the most psychedelic era which I guess might end in about 1970, or post Live Dead... I don't know...)
Anyways, this one will blow your mind. Kind of brought tears to my eyes how great it was-
10/21/78 Winterland
This is from a "Road Trips" release that came to me in a bonus of the entire Fillmore East run of shows in 1971 (I think is was?) Have to check the box which is out in the car. Just seek this one out. It'll rip a hole in your cranium.....
Anyone got any other gotta hear this one's?

I'm sure everyone will have a great one. So, so many. This one just took my mind to outer space, hearing the whole set while on a long drive
-peace
 #141712  by schmidtz
 Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:57 pm
My personal favorite is the one coming out of Dark Star on The Closing of Winterland (interestingly just a few months after yours). If there's ever been a potential to blow my speakers, it's when I play that. The hitch is that it must be listened to in continuity with the Dark Star, because the jam leading in to Phil's madness is truly awe inspiring.
 #141808  by astroman99
 Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:20 am
I would agree with above posts, try 9-17-82, first Phil chant out of space, nice Spanish jam, Bobby slips and falls on stage during the vroom into the beginning of the song, all in all a great show, naked guy arrested and handcuffed right next to me as the lights came on, cops had him standing outside in cold, hope he made it he looked cold.

Really GREAT show. a good time was had by all, even us, after locking our keys in the trunk of our car. or try 7-27-82 red rocks, really powerful eleven tease in da middle
 #141817  by TruckinThruTennessee
 Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:44 am
I really enjoy the Fillmore West '69 version. That's It For The Other One/ Cryptical Envelopment/ The Other One/ Cryptical Envelopment. Great fiery jams, Phil has his bass set from stun to kill. Blows my mind every time I hear it. Top of their psychedelic game. After that I really enjoy the one from Europe '72 Vol. 2. I love the organ, the bass is just great, and Jerry's tone is in the stratosphere. I'm definitely gonna check out the versions you guys mentioned though. :D Gonna be a good day.
 #141825  by playingdead
 Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:52 am
drkstrcrashes wrote:I thought I'd just throw it out there if you feel like hearing one of the most amazing post apocalyptic (meaning after the most psychedelic era which I guess might end in about 1970, or post Live Dead... I don't know...)
Anyways, this one will blow your mind. Kind of brought tears to my eyes how great it was-
10/21/78 Winterland
This is from a "Road Trips" release that came to me in a bonus of the entire Fillmore East run of shows in 1971 (I think is was?) Have to check the box which is out in the car. Just seek this one out. It'll rip a hole in your cranium.....
Anyone got any other gotta hear this one's?

I'm sure everyone will have a great one. So, so many. This one just took my mind to outer space, hearing the whole set while on a long drive
-peace
Probably my favorite Donna-era show ... she nails the harmony vocals beautifully on the second set opener Bertha, Good Lovin' is nice and energetic, a great Estimated, good jam into Got My Mojo Workin' ... and then that Other One. They were playing with a lot of energy after they got back from Egypt. 77-early 79 is not my favorite era but this show and the Shea's 1-20-79 show (after Donna left the tour following a backstage punch-out if you believe the scuttlebut) are good ones.
 #147062  by Naataanii
 Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:00 pm
I'm into the Brent years so 3/22/90 is tops for me. And Jerry's Rosebud sound was where it was at for me tone wise as well.

SGP
 #147065  by ebick
 Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:59 pm
4-6-82 - Maybe the shortest one, but SO intense,
 #147069  by NorthboundRain
 Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:29 am
5/2/70 as featured on Dick's Picks 8 is my personal favorite

2/27/69 is also amazing

European Tour had some truly epic ones too. 4/26/72 in particular if you like melting into a puddle of primordial goo and experiencing the whole of evolution only to re emerge as yourself during the opening bars of Sugar Magnolia.

68' was also an exceptional year for Other One
 #147076  by caspersvapors
 Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:25 am
I just found my favorite Other One ever last week

5/3/72

L'Olympia Paris

its a truly stunning 3 part-opus with drums and Me and Bobby McGee mixed in between. Part 1 is my favorite. It has some of the most furious playing Ive ever heard the Dead do - Garcia, Lesh and Keith in particular. Everybody is on fire and offering up great stuff in the jams.

Everybody talks about the Dark Stars of that tour but I think the Other Ones are far more amazing.
 #152870  by drkstrcrashes
 Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:39 pm
I love getting good recommendations for shows. Great suggestions! Thanks! My first show was '81 so I am partial to the early 80s. There was a show in 1983 that the stars were just aligned for. The vitamin A was super clean and the summer breeze felt amazing. it was still before Touch of Grey so we had no problem at all walking up and sitting down in the 12th row. I'm talking about Poplar Creek 6/27/83. This is the year where I was firmly planted on the bus, never to get off. But check out this second set:
https://archive.org/details/gd1983-06-2 ... eok.flac16
The Scarlet Fir seemed perfect. One of the coolest "space's" ever and one VERY psychedelic Other One's. Into the wheel- Good Lovin'. The entire second set melted my mind. I would cut off a foot to be able to re-live that week end. red devils were the pattern if I recall correctly. Or maybe red UFOs. Something like that. I feel so lucky to see these guys back in the early 80s when music was all that it was about. In fact, there light show consisted of two colors- red and blue. It was remarkable. Nothing ever so tasteful in the annals of rock and roll.