#416  by Guest
 Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:54 pm
Does anyone know how to play Space?

Obviously, they don't play it the same all the time, but
I like the sound of it and I've got pretty much any effect
that I would need, but I've never seen anything on websites
about playing that or trippy music in general. If anyone could
help me out or give me advice, I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you.

#420  by ebick
 Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:16 pm
Boy, I don't know about that one.

But it does remind me of a couple of funny stories.

At a show in Hartford with a young feller, probably his 1st show. During space he turns to me and asks, "Is this for the people doing acid?"

I was also at a show at Manor Downs, Austin, Tx, '82. When I got the tape from someone in a trade, they said that if you listened real closely during the space you could hear someone yell "PLAY A SONG!". I have yet to confirm that, but it's funny anyway.

#422  by x0nix
 Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:32 pm
I don't have any advice but space is cool ^_^
 #550  by ListenToMedeski
 Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:33 pm
I can tell you how to play space: step on every one of those fucking pedals and feel that shit
 #671  by IvePlayedSpace
 Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:41 pm
I have played "space" before
by myself and with others

I did mine with chorus, reverb, amp "distortion", distortion pedals and LOTS of digital delay at various settings and moving the dials while playing
I just ran through the different ways to make noises with my guitar and "bent" the noises with delay basicaly

once I had access to a tascam and made a tape once playing mostly chord type noises on 1 track and scales type on the other that I thought was pretty ... ok heh

its really not hard to do .. its just hard to do GOOD .. and Im not saying that mine were good.. but I did do it heh

#860  by Guest
 Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:20 am
LOL!
I don't mean to laugh, but thats awesome. I guess I just spent too many teenage years in my room tourturing my poor dad with a digital delay! That and alot of lot candy.
Just keep doin shit till it sounds wierd. Lots of dissonant intervals and runs.

#2506  by whitelacestrange
 Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:22 pm
i think space is more improvisional, i really dont think its something you can write down. its kinda like trying to write a feedback jam, just can't do it, you gotta just be able to do it first hand.

#2510  by spilly
 Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:18 am
a slide bar would really kick things up a bit. the ability to play quater or even thirs steps as aposed to be ristriced to half steps seems to help
alot when dabaling in psycodelia.
without the slide bar i'd recomend picking a key, minor keys are great for ambiance, I usually use Em. then throw away the rules, dont actually play the scale, play the idea of the scale, you can play evey damned note on the fret board if you want, but make sure to work your way back to whatever key you've been using, this gives the band an idea of what to do, if everybodies doing whatever they want you'll wind of with a mess you may not be ably to get yourself out of gracefully.
make it wierd, but give it a direction. remember if you jammed into space you have to jam out of it.
just feel it out and you'll find so0me pretty interesting sounds.
have fun

#2518  by strumminsix
 Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:24 pm
Nice, Spilly. I feel the same way. Start somewhere and go!!!

Em is a nice dark key so is Dm. The play with relatives then go nuts!

Some time back someone said to me, "what scale are you playing?" after a space jam to which I said, "chromatic".

He didn't get it. I thought it was funny.
 #2529  by phreaker
 Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:05 pm
The dead always play space coming out of a jam that comes out of another song. Ex- St. Stephen>Jam>Space.

Space is like a really really long fade out ending.

no...it's hard to say...but if your jamming, and you want to come out of the jam, start slowly getting lazy on the guitar, add a lot of effects, and start giving up, for a long long time. because space is a lazy, slow...spacey, effect (ey) jam.

#2533  by LooksLikeRain
 Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:54 pm
space is not composed...its..well..space...there is no right or wrong note in space.. haha