#3346  by otherones90210
 Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:59 am
I just Bought a Mutron III by Musitronics. It took some serious searchingg but I eventually found one. I have just started exploring this Amazing pedal. Any guitar playing deadhead would know that this is one of Jerry's Favorites.

Does anyone that is familiar with this Pedal have any advice? Maybe some settings or Tips on getting the best sounds of this thing? Is there anybody else that has one of these care to share what they paid for it? I'm just curious if I Paid too much or too little for mine.

For any of you that are unfamiliar with the Mutron III it is the effect Jerry used on "Fire On The Mountain", "Estimated Prophet" and "Run for the Roses"

#3347  by mutant_dan
 Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:28 am
If it is in great shape I would think the $300 range is a fair price.

If it needs work, $150 - 200 would seem reasonable.

I wish they were cheaper but the demand for these older effects seems to drive the market value.

#3348  by otherones90210
 Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:36 am
I paid 300$ Canadian for mine, I don't know whether it needs work or not. It sounds great to my ear. I bought the Mini Q-Tron first just to hear what the envelope filter sounded like, And not to Dis the Mini Q I'm sure it would be fine for some, But I find the Mutron is a far better pedal. Anyone know what the HAZ re-issue is like.

#3504  by jahozer
 Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:07 am
THere is another thread discussing the difference between the HAZ and the musitronics. Do not waste your time on the HAZ it is not the same pedal at all. You have the best.
I did just acquire a Mini Qtron and love it. But still wish I had the mutron.
Have fun.
 #3505  by analogfan
 Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:53 am
I have a Mu-Tron III. Paid $300 for it with power supply about two years ago. They are going for anywhere between $350 and $550 on eBay depending on whether they have a power supply. It's one of my favorite pedals and it is amazingly versatile and organic sounding.

Aside from the earlier mentioned songs, you can also hear the Mu-Tron III on many of the extended Dancin' jams -- although this sound is not the wowwww that you hear on Fire and Estimated or Shakedown. It sounds more like a rubber band or an under-water effect. Add a phaser to this and you will hear some familiar sounds.

Play the Mu-Tron III into the MXR Distortion + (set at low distortion levels) and you can get that groaning wah sound.

It's also interesting to put an Octave Divider before the Mu-Tron III. Unfortunately, I don't have Mu-Tron Octave Divider (yet), which JG used in the 1970s before switching to a Boss OC2. Mu-Tron ODs cost anywhere from $550 to $700 on ebay and I just saw one for $850 in a vintage guitar store. Ouch. As such, I am still using a Boss OC3, which is decent enough but I have heard great things about Octrons by Foxxroxx (although there is a waiting list).

My pedal lineup is as follows: Ibanez AD9 (vintage analog delay); Mu-Tron Phasor II; MXR Phase 100 (vintage block logo); Mu-Tron III; MXR Distortion + (vintage block); Boss OC3 Super Octave (new).

Unfortunately, the script logo versions of the MXR pedals are getting too pricey for my budget. I'd like to hear what others are using.