When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #153076  by mgbills
 Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:10 am
Saw Dead & Co. at the Porland S'Moda center on Friday night.

I was astounded really. How does a guy with such a lucrative pop career spontaneously memorize all the necessary stock licks, melodic solo's, etc to keep the core of the music solid, and then still add a completely new take on improvisation? I'll grant that folks report that John is a prodigy, and that he's been really into the Dead for 2-3 years. But still...many of us have been playing this music for years, and I bet not many of us can cover all these tunes from so many Dead era's and still remember all the stock stuff. It's unbelievable. Bob had an iPad to help. JM did't have anything!

I'll grant that he's a little "wordy" in his solo's. But I was amazed that he seems to have studied so much of what is fundamentally Jerry, and added his own bent. I heard so many Jerry solo snippets, and yet...a whole lot of adventure as well.

In comparison, Trey got screwed. Especially if it's true that he never rehearsed with the full band. Trey was great, but clearly they gave JM their full attention.
 #153085  by hieronymous7
 Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:50 pm
mgbills wrote:Saw Dead & Co. at the Porland S'Moda center on Friday night.

I was astounded really. How does a guy with such a lucrative pop career spontaneously memorize all the necessary stock licks, melodic solo's, etc to keep the core of the music solid, and then still add a completely new take on improvisation? I'll grant that folks report that John is a prodigy, and that he's been really into the Dead for 2-3 years. But still...many of us have been playing this music for years, and I bet not many of us can cover all these tunes from so many Dead era's and still remember all the stock stuff. It's unbelievable. Bob had an iPad to help. JM did't have anything!

I'll grant that he's a little "wordy" in his solo's. But I was amazed that he seems to have studied so much of what is fundamentally Jerry, and added his own bent. I heard so many Jerry solo snippets, and yet...a whole lot of adventure as well.

In comparison, Trey got screwed. Especially if it's true that he never rehearsed with the full band. Trey was great, but clearly they gave JM their full attention.
Nice review & analysis! I'm even more psyched now for next weekend!

And I will just add that I think Phish is perfect for Trey - so glad that he is clean and healthy and that they are playing regularly.

Oh, and one more thing - I go to several shows a year - at a lot of shows people have their cell phones up almost the entire show - even iPads! - but at Terrapin Crossroads and at Phish the other night it was kind of amazing how FEW cell phones were up - people are at the show to listen to and enjoy the music - what a concept!
 #153099  by broesau
 Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:50 am
I went to the first Fare Thee Well show last year in Santa Clara. They sounded tight with Trey, but you could tell they hadn't rehearsed a lot because the show was very heavy on the Jams and nothing from post 1970, which leads to some amazing jams. I've listened to the other FTW shows and some of the other tunes just didn't sound right especially Trey's use of effects or lack there of. On the other hand I saw the show on Friday in Portland and they sounded amazing. John Mayer is an incredibly talented musician and he and Oteil really bring a more energetic, and dare I say younger, aspect to the band.
 #153127  by Arafel
 Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:45 pm
brbadg wrote:Despite Trey's lack of rehearsal time(it wasnt his fault from what I'm hearing),
his playing is much sweeter.I've only heard a couple things that Mayer has done that I've liked.
Most of what I hear from Mayer is a lot of overplaying.Whereas Jerry would weave through the music,
it sounds like Mayer just wont stop.It's exhausting to listen to.The other thing is these tempos, holy crap it
sounds like they are playing a 45 at 33 1/3 speed! I should also mention that I am not a Phish fan,but think Trey is
damn good guitar player.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed how slowly the songs are being played. It feels lugubrious at times.
 #153182  by hieronymous7
 Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:42 am
Just got back from the Shoreline show - it was pretty amazing, I would have been satisfied just with the first set! John Mayer did a great job - such a natural, great singer, great player. Absolutely no complaints. (Well, t-shirt and merch prices are pretty lame!)
 #153186  by tigerstrat
 Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:19 am
I like Trey a lot better, but he's needed with a certain incredible band that has had the same 4 members for 31 years. I like DeadCo when Mayer doesn't sing Garcia songs, but mainly whenever they don't SLOW the tempos down past the threshold of danceability...WTF?!? Having a hard time imagining watching a whole show like that. Don't really give any craps what gear any of them use.
 #154469  by amyjared
 Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:03 pm
Haven't been on the boards for awhile, nor have I posted in ages, but saw this thread from the summer and was moved to reply. I saw all 5 of the FTW shows and only one (Portland, OR) of the JM shows, but did listen to a whole bunch of the JM shows and watch them on youtube. I was even standing right next to Mayer at the first FTW show, and watching him take it all in, pumping his fist in the air, singing along, etc. you could tell he was WAY into it and I thought that they might let him sit in 2nd set, but that didn't happen. I think I have to lean more toward JM for 2 reasons:
1. The energy and enthusiasm he brings. He is really enjoying the hell out of it and gets the band hitting on all cylinders. Now, some of this is due to the fact that Bob and Phil are not fighting for control like they did during FTW, with Trey in the middle of. That must've been hard. But while Trey smiled, JM was a beam of light from above, transforming the stage into pure happiness.
2. Trey can't play the blues. I love the blues, and I love Trey, and he kills on the psychedelic jam shit, but the boy just can't play the blues. i watched it at FTW, and it wasn't there. JM is almost as competent on the jam stuff, but that boy can shred on the blues tunes, so he's a double threat. Just my 2 cents. Miss you folks...
 #154470  by lovetoboogie
 Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:15 pm
amyjared wrote:... Trey can't play the blues. I love the blues, and I love Trey, and he kills on the psychedelic jam shit, but the boy just can't play the blues.
 #154472  by amyjared
 Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:00 pm
Nice vid, but I think of "funk" and "blues" as 2 separate things. Oh, and I forgot to add the best line I heard about Trey Vs. Mayer:
I was gay for Trey, but I'm gayer for Mayer!
 #154700  by elsaqueen
 Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:21 am
Saw the Grateful Dead 44 times, several tours, and 3 VW buses (white '74 Westfailia weekender blue plaid interior, orange with white top '76 9 passenger automatic, and a lime green '78 Westfalia poptop with propane firdge and stove, gas heater, dash clock (every option except automatic)- put in a cruise control kit from J C Whitney for a Super Beetle, had to splice in longer wiring between the steering wheel and the engine, and had a 10 speaker 1000 watt Pioneer system in it). When Jerry died that August in '95, there was a rumor going around that Mark Knopfler was going to take his place.

IMO That would have been a great person to try and fill in the spot Jerry left vacant.

Also, the first time I heard Phish (~1991 summer tour) I started laughing. Thought it was a parody, joke, even said "It sounds like circus music". Let me tell you, Phish heads aren't that chill when you say you don't like them.
 #154706  by TI4-1009
 Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:58 pm
elsaqueen wrote:Saw the Grateful Dead 44 times, several tours, and 3 VW buses (white '74 Westfailia weekender blue plaid interior, orange with white top '76 9 passenger automatic, and a lime green '78 Westfalia poptop with propane firdge and stove, gas heater, dash clock (every option except automatic)- put in a cruise control kit from J C Whitney for a Super Beetle, had to splice in longer wiring between the steering wheel and the engine, and had a 10 speaker 1000 watt Pioneer system in it).
Ah, you want the other board then- RUFarfugnugen. :lol:
 #154775  by Ebearius
 Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:09 am
This really isn't a valid topic anymore. With multiple tours, and 50 or so shows under his belt, Mayer has a better handle on how to blend into the ensemble. Every time clips from the Fare Thee Well shows show up on my XM radio, I find them to be less impressive.