When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #63802  by jjbankhead
 Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:30 pm
[PREFACE] I was going to put this in the "other bands" forum but i am not eligible to create a new SUB topic and it oesnt fit any of the groups listed[/preface]

so i never really listened to them before or noticed it was little feat if i had heard them before. I was in monterey with the wife celebrating 10 years married life and listening to KPIG saturday- its another topic if you dont know- and they play this little feat song that is super groovy yet has a bit of a The Band feel, somewhat like Cripple Creek. i didnt catch the name of the tune and looking into their history they have way too many cds to sift through to find the tune i was listening to...

anyhow i am currently DL-ing an 11 disc libarary and hope to find some more groovy treats.

i was just hoping that if any of you who like Little feat could offer some selections as 11 discs will be a lot to go through.

{added about 35 seconds later} so i had an oh shit moment and it dawned on me to look at KPIG's website because i know they put up their play lists, the song i heard was called Dixie Chicken.
 #63808  by willmusic
 Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:32 pm
I really dig Little Feat. My dad's a close friend of their drummer Ritchie Hayward so I saw and heard a whole of them growing up. They've had plenty of changes in their lineup (sound too of course). I especially like their early stuff with Lowell George, but the rest of their stuff up till the present deserves equal attention. I should also note that George was once a member of the Mothers of Invention and later produced Shakedown Street (half of it anyway...a fight with Mickey ended that). Anyway some recommended listening off the top of my head includes but is not limited to: Cold Cold Cold, Willin', Roll Um Easy, Tripe Face Boogie, and Down on the Farm. Hope you'll discover more of them that you'll enjoy!
 #63810  by jackr
 Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:18 am
Little Feat was amazing. Lowell George was incredible. When I saw them I came to this conclusion, he had an "aura" like Garcia had. Not many people had that. I never really use the word "aura" but just trying to convey a feeling that he put out there.

Trivia: the Dixie Chics got their name because of their love of Little Feat and the name came from the song Dixie Chicken.
 #63825  by tigerstrat
 Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:00 am
Lowell was an amazing musical presence. Can't believe the 30th of his passing went by w/o a mention- 6/29/79. Definitely go directly to the Lowell years, do not pass go, etc. There's a great vid out there from Pink Pop Fest, Netherlands in '76.
 #63833  by jackr
 Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:16 am
prephippie wrote:Get Waiting for Columbus. One of the best live albums ever.
+1
 #63838  by Django
 Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:30 pm
'Waiting for Columbus' is definately a great album and while I really liked 'Time Loves a Hero' for quite a while, with it's Doobies back ups and smooth jazzy sound, it is leaning in the direction away from George's concept IMHO.
My favorite is 'Sailing Shoes' with Dixie Chicken' close behind.
I did recently score a vinyl 'Feats Don't Fail Me Now' which I haven't heard for twenty years and I'll see if that displaces one of the others mentioned.
 #63857  by jjbankhead
 Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:08 am
thanks everybody, it looks like i am getting 11 cds of the lowell years.

i really liked that Dixie chicken tune so i am excited for this damn torrent to finish.
 #63858  by jjbankhead
 Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:08 am
thanks everybody, it looks like i am getting 11 cds of the lowell years.

i really liked that Dixie chicken tune so i am excited for this damn torrent to finish.
 #63859  by KCJones
 Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:00 am
Just a note: Loewll George Produced Shakedown Street for the Grateful Dead.

Bill Kreutzmann commented in an interview;... "Lowell was really like a member of the band more. If we were working on a song and he didn't feel it was going right, he'd just grab a guitar and come into the studio and show us how he felt it. That was one of the ways he'd communicate, and it worked great. I had a tremendous amount of respect for him".
 #63903  by Emoto
 Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:03 am
There are a lot of excellent soundboard or FM recordings of LF floating around out there on the bit torrent sites.
 #64035  by jjbankhead
 Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:53 am
hey guys stoked to finally discover the band.

i feel funny not having noticed them before but i am loving the dixie chicken album.

its reminding me of the band meets tower of power (specifically the back to oakland album).
 #64036  by jjbankhead
 Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:56 am
trking8 wrote:huge Feathead here. I was lucky - - I saw them with lowell about 5 or 6 times. it was never quite the same without him.

the archive lists 215 shows for download:

http://www.archive.org/browse.php?media ... %2Fcreator

love playing the stuff, too.

peace out,

terry
thanks this is cool. i am feelin overwhelmed... lol