name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #90146  by tiffcheese
 Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:45 am
I, too, started out on a $75 beater. Next acoustic was a $250 Ovation. I liked it so much I upgraded next to the $750 Ovation (balladeer I believe) which I still love. Ovation gets mixed reviews from the guitar players I know, but I like the narrow body since I've got short arms :drink:
 #90156  by strumminsix
 Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:07 am
tiffcheese wrote:I, too, started out on a $75 beater. Next acoustic was a $250 Ovation. I liked it so much I upgraded next to the $750 Ovation (balladeer I believe) which I still love. Ovation gets mixed reviews from the guitar players I know, but I like the narrow body since I've got short arms :drink:
There are many different shapes to acoustics but most shops are just chocked full of dreadnoughts.

I prefer a "concert" size which is smaller and may be to your liking.
 #91390  by rkubik
 Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:27 am
Kind of in the same boat as you. I have been playing guitar for about three years now and have been strictly electric. I have a 95' Les Paul Studio and just recently put together my own Jerrycaster. I have been wanting an acoustic for a while now and finally just bought on. A lot of it will be up to you.

I agree with one other poster about the Ibanez they were one of my final choices. I decided to go with the Jasmine Takamine. I have played quite a few at different stores and looked online at some the reviews. Each time I went to the guitar store I kept coming back to it and I was completely surprised by the price and how it fit my body. I was prepared to pay over $300 if I would find something but I found a new one online that was very inexpensive. That would be my only recommendation is to not just shop by price. Your daughters $75 "piece of crap" could be just fine if a setup was done etc on it. Take your time and get something you like. There have been many great guitar players that don't have the best gear.

Good luck.
 #91395  by gr8fulbluz
 Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:42 am
Hi
I have had good luck with Alvarez. I got a scratch and dent ad-90 like this one>http://www.alvarezgtr.com/images/produc ... D90SCK.gif it has a little imperfection in the finish on the back. for 400$ it came with a gig bag, capo, a nice strap and a new package o strings.
I also have a 1986 alvarez dread that is prolly worth 50 bucks now but plays great. But i aint sellin :P

Cheers.
 #91611  by barefootdave
 Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:58 pm
Old Town School is an excellent choice, and if you need work done on your guitar in the future, Geoff Benge is a great luthier located around 3300 N Damen. He has worked on many of my guitars, he is quick and very reasonable $$-wise. An all around great guy.

Remember that you have the rest of your life to learn to play.

Enjoy!