#165928  by Pointclear
 Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:17 am
I’d look at dimarzio sds-1 pickups as well. They were in wolf fall 77-mid78, along with a stratoblaster. That era of tones has some of my absolute favorite characteristics.
They are hot single coils, and quite a bit different than normal alnico Strat pu’s.
brbadg, Grateful Dad, paulinnc and 1 others liked this
 #165931  by tntawney
 Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:50 pm
bcresci wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:00 am
Scott Walker (of Scott Walker Guitars) was making single coil Dimarzio Super IIs some time back by chopping the humbucker in half. Not sure if he still is, but I picked one up and have been very happy with it.
I can split one for you. It is pretty easy and I have extra magnets. I like them in the bridge and middle position. IMOP think a sd1 is better in the neck. I also have a guitar with the voodoo 69's. Either combo with a blaster is pretty killer.
Grateful Dad liked this
 #166154  by sw72
 Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:34 pm
I recently purchased a set of D. Allen Voodoo 69's and put them in my 76' maple neck strat. I cut a brass nut and already had an Alembic Stratoblaster. I believe this combo does a great job in recreating the early 70's Jerry tone. Guitar is run through and SMS CTP JG > Mc50 > 2 JBL D120f's. No issues purchasing or receiving the D. Allen Voodoo 69's. Hope others have the same experience.