#167611  by lbpesq
 Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:27 pm
Absolutely gorgeous, Jonathan! To be honest, I was never sold on the use of a brass laminate on the original. Aside from the finish issue, it seemed to add a lot of weight. IIRC, Tiger is a hefty 13 lbs. ! How much does your's weigh?

Bill, tgo
 #167612  by thistle3585
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:33 am
As a builder, it truly is intimidating to see Bob's work. I'm sure I look at these photos a lot different than a musician because I'm trying to understand the build more than the beauty. I also have to admit that I am always looking for some flaw just to make sure that he is human. Truly a remarkable piece and he has definitely set the bar high.

I have seen a number of interviews with Irwin and Lieber where they discussed some of the "flaws" in the design. What I have not heard about is the reasoning behind the contrasting spacer in the neck pocket. Was this a design characteristic, a repair from cutting the neck heel too thin or is there a neck angle incorporated in that spacer?
 #167615  by jalevinemd
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:15 pm
Totally agree about Bob's unparalleled skills as a luthier. That's why I feel comfortable posting such magnified images. There's nothing to hide.

I would also be interested in reading a detailed explanation regarding all of the flaws in the original and which aesthetic details were incorporated to hide the "mistakes."
 #167618  by jalevinemd
 Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:27 pm
lbpesq wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:27 pm
Absolutely gorgeous, Jonathan! To be honest, I was never sold on the use of a brass laminate on the original. Aside from the finish issue, it seemed to add a lot of weight. IIRC, Tiger is a hefty 13 lbs. ! How much does your's weigh?

Bill, tgo
Bill...I'm not sure how much weight the brass on the original added. It's a thin binding, not a full body laminate. In any case, my Tiger is significantly lighter than the original, weighing in at about 10 lbs 10 oz's. The wings on mine are chambered. Not sure if Jerry's were.